A few weeks ago I got hit by the sickness wave. Like tidal wave. At the doctor the diagnosis was three fold: respiratory infection, an on-the-verge ear infection, and pink eye. In both eyes. WHAM. The doctor was like..dang, anything else?
Not fun. And caring for a little baby while trying to keep them healthy was tough. But enough of my woes, what I really learned during this sickness-ravaging-period was that simple is magic. and people are good.
Turns out when you get hit by a tidal wave of sickness, your body can throw out the nursing baby option. Our poor little (stubborn) Madeline refused all kinds of formula and was one hungry girl for a few days.
Meanwhile, I was a snotty, pus-dripping, coughing mess; complete with my 8th grade glasses and pink mask. Cute right? I was so tired, so frustrated, and so wanting to do the one thing I was allowed to do--feed my baby!
So, I called a hotline for nursing mommas. Honestly, I wasn't really expecting much. Just the drink water, eat enough, etc answer. But man, this lady blew me away.
Our conversation was probably like 4 minutes. I coughed and sniffled my way through my explanation and this lady from somewhere in New York said exactly what I needed to hear. I don't even know what she said, but the way she said it was just simple, and perfect. Her little pep talk backed with some really awesome advice gave me encouragement and empowerment.
She was a stranger, but a mom, a woman, and someone that believed in me. She threw my fears and worries out the window. She was so kind. So friendly. So smart. Half way through our conversation, she ran to say bye to her son, and I heard him in the background say "Mom, I'm fine, I don't need help, she does!" (aka me, the toad-sounding mother on the line). It made my heart smile.
So shout out to the La Leche League. You got one awesome gal in New York.
Don't forget the power of simple kindness from a stranger. People are good.
peace and love.
amy kathleen
![]() |
| cute eh? |
Not fun. And caring for a little baby while trying to keep them healthy was tough. But enough of my woes, what I really learned during this sickness-ravaging-period was that simple is magic. and people are good.
Turns out when you get hit by a tidal wave of sickness, your body can throw out the nursing baby option. Our poor little (stubborn) Madeline refused all kinds of formula and was one hungry girl for a few days.
Meanwhile, I was a snotty, pus-dripping, coughing mess; complete with my 8th grade glasses and pink mask. Cute right? I was so tired, so frustrated, and so wanting to do the one thing I was allowed to do--feed my baby!
So, I called a hotline for nursing mommas. Honestly, I wasn't really expecting much. Just the drink water, eat enough, etc answer. But man, this lady blew me away.
Our conversation was probably like 4 minutes. I coughed and sniffled my way through my explanation and this lady from somewhere in New York said exactly what I needed to hear. I don't even know what she said, but the way she said it was just simple, and perfect. Her little pep talk backed with some really awesome advice gave me encouragement and empowerment.
She was a stranger, but a mom, a woman, and someone that believed in me. She threw my fears and worries out the window. She was so kind. So friendly. So smart. Half way through our conversation, she ran to say bye to her son, and I heard him in the background say "Mom, I'm fine, I don't need help, she does!" (aka me, the toad-sounding mother on the line). It made my heart smile.
So shout out to the La Leche League. You got one awesome gal in New York.
Don't forget the power of simple kindness from a stranger. People are good.
peace and love.
amy kathleen

No comments:
Post a Comment