Background

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Perks and Prickles?

Today was full of perks.

I went running. And it was SO wonderful. It's taken me this long to figure out where to go running in India, but now that I've figured it out, there's no stopping me.

Hey macarena :)
We got invited to a dinner at a gated community in town. They are so clean and friendly. Sam and I danced for them. And then they whipped out some dance moves of their own. AND I taught them how to do the macarena. It was hilarious.

Some really funny quotes from our Indian friends:

"Well we should get all our friends to go. Then we can be a batch and rock everything."
"Who is that glamorous guy in the photo? Oh that's me!"
A little boy met Sam, squeezed Sam's cheek and exclaimed "You're so white!"

And I'm back from Kolkata.
Crazy busy Kolkata

Kolkata had its perks, but many not-perks . So I'll call them prickles. :) Let's say, I loved Kolkata/ Calcutta (you can spell it both ways cool eh?), but it's probably the last place on my places-to-visit-in-the-future list.

Perk: Don't judge, but Kolkata had a McDonalds. Yeah, it's pathetic I know. Going all the way to India and we eat at McDonalds. But it was so worth it.
Can you say hot fudge sundae? Me and Jaci getting in touch with our American roots.

Prickle: Four words: train ride of death. I'm really not exaggerating. Seventeen hours of cockroaches climbing in my bunk, the smell of latrine (SICK), mosquitoes, crowded craziness, and feeling really filthy and dirty was not my walk in the park. I will n.e.v.e.r. ride a train again in India. Had to do it once, but never again :)
Train ride home. This is the very beginning...


Perk: I spent the four days in Kolkata with some awesome people. We had lots of laughs.
We were early to the book fair. Story of our trip: nothing went as planned :)


Prickle: Hilary got sick. She's a trooper. She got on a train (for 17 hours) after throwing up all night in the hotel. She's narly as Amy (#2) would say. Oh and she LOVED Kolkata.
She had a love for Kolkata that Jaci and I couldn't understand..


Perk: We had beds. It was wonderful. They were actually above the floor.

Prickle: The fan started going out of control and unscrewing out of the wall. It almost came down and did some serious damage. It was hilarious though.

Perk: We visited the Victoria palace and Mother Teresa's home.  I am so inspired by Mother Teresa. She is such an example of a Christlike person.

Prickle: Kolkata made me angry (yes..angry) for several reasons. It's a more modern city, so the rich are pretty rich. However, the poor are SO poor there. It drove me crazy to see the disparity between them. Where is Robin Hood when you need him. I especially hated seeing the rickshaw men. They are skinny old men who work super hard carrying around fat rich people all day for pennies. If I knew Bengali I would've chewed out some rich people. Ugh, it makes me so mad.

Perk: We visited the branch president of the Kolkata branch and his sister. They fed us dinner and it was SO great. Their testimonies and generosity make me want to be so much better.

Well thank goodness for prickles because they make life funny and make some awesome stories.

Love from across the ocean blue,

amy kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment