Someone mentioned India as a chapter in my life.
They mentioned how sad it is that the India chapter is over.
It's. Not. Over.
Chapters in life aren't meant to be written and then closed. The words are all supposed to bleed together and influence every next experience you have. Right?
And that's what India has been doing so far. I can't stop thinking about all the people I met in India, about all the people I did help, and all the people I didn't. It's been making me look at things differently. Like the fact I have a bagillion clothes and I don't really need them. Or that the little teddy bears on my little sister's shelf watching me type this would make those 64 angels really happy.
And today I listened to this. Inspiring. And it got me thinking about chapters, about people, about love.
Let me tell you a story.
Sophomore year of college, Carrie and I hopped in the car for Thanksgiving break and headed out to Vegas to meet her parents. All set for our adventure with smarties and our favorite pretzels, we started our road trip. Somewhere along the way, we saw a couple. Waiting on the roadside, a young wife sat on the step of a pole looking exhausted and a little embarrassed. Her husband stood not too far with a sign, Not homeless, just out of luck. He looked tired, worried, and a little ashamed. As we sat in the car on the corner waiting to pull onto the high way, I mentioned to Carrie, Oh that's sad, I wonder if they really need money. I remembered the ten dollar bill sitting in my pocket, but made no move to give it.
The light turned green and we pulled away. Carrie looked over and said, I wish I had something to give them, I don't have any cash.
I again thought of the ten dollar bill in my pocket and my heart sank.
Fail.
I've been thinking a lot since returning from India about the opportunities I have been given to help others. Sometimes I do great and jump in to help and then walk around with a smile on my face all day. Other times I feel sorry for someone and do nothing. And sadly it is those experiences, the ones that I've missed to serve, that I remember most. The woman I didn't sit by at church, the pregnant woman I didn't help with groceries, the young man I didn't go talk to when he looked like he needed a friend.
I fall oh-too-easily for little excuses, Oh that would be awkward, or oh I'm sure they're fine, or someone else will do a better job at helping them.
Well by golly Amy Drake, step it up and help them out. Who cares if you feel a little embarrassed or if serving them is 25 feet out of your comfort zone. If Heavenly Father puts people in your path to help, He will most certainly help you help them.
So instead of closing up my India chapter and letting all those experiences dust away, I hope I continue to let India change me. I hope I continue to think of little faces each day, little faces that remind me to love and give and share and cherish. No way that chapter is closing mister.
And hey, you don't have to go all the way to India to learn this lesson. We all have those experiences that tug at our heart strings and whisper to us to do something. Well by golly, let's do it :)
peace and lots of love,
amy kathleen

Amy, this is beautiful. I've felt that little tug before and ignored it. You are such a good example.
ReplyDeletei love your blog. and seriously, how much happier are we when we just listen to our little promptings to help people the first time around? not to mention the people we get to serve.
ReplyDeleteI have loved reading this blog, it is awesome and inspiring! I am a YW leader and at camp last year we took the girls on a scavenger hunt race, what they didn't know is it was really about service. We had set people along the way needing help, then we sent the girls out in groups each with a leader recording who and what they did to help. Once everyone returned we revealed the secret. Sadly most did not help and a few were even down right rude. They were blinded by the competition and missed the opportunity to serve. This really made all of us think about how many people we pass by each day; whether we notice them or not.
ReplyDelete