It's JANUARY.
WHOA.
Which means new years goals. Which I tend to have a love/hate relationship with. You see, I get really awfully excited at the prospect of all these things I'm going to do, and the new better person I'm going to become--but inevitably life starts really happening and the 37 goals I wrote for myself get forgotten and January rolls around again and I just end up feeling guilty and lame.
Since becoming a mom, I find that I tend to compare my goals/successes to my childless self. It's quite unrealistic. I find myself remembering the Amy that got up early and read her scriptures for an hour, then went on an hour run, then prepared a super healthy meal, yada yada yada. It's easy to forget that Amy also didn't have two little humans she was keeping alive and healthy (and that also wake her up at multiple times a night and give an unforgiving early wake up call) and a busy husband in PA school. I mean, life back then was pretty much all about myself back then--but in a good way, it was a season of my life focused on bettering myself through education, establishing lifelong habits, creating relationships, etc etc. This season of my life is pretty focused on giving my all to my family--my husband and those two darling girls.
Moral of the story: Calm down, cheer up, and get a heck of a lot more realistic.
So this year I let myself make 5 goals. So I can actually remember them. One goal for each of these topics: spiritual, physical, social, educational, and temporal.
Here's one I'm excited about this year (educational):
-Read 12 books. Two classics, a religious topic, an autobiography of someone I admire, a book in Spanish (cool right?? let's see how cool it is when I can barely get through a page..), 2 "self-help" books, etc. I hope it reality I'll read more than 12, but hey, I'm trying to be really honest with myself about the time I have to leisure read :).
So cheers to new goals, and really trying to make ourselves better people. BABY STEPS. But we'll get there, right?
WHOA.
Which means new years goals. Which I tend to have a love/hate relationship with. You see, I get really awfully excited at the prospect of all these things I'm going to do, and the new better person I'm going to become--but inevitably life starts really happening and the 37 goals I wrote for myself get forgotten and January rolls around again and I just end up feeling guilty and lame.
Since becoming a mom, I find that I tend to compare my goals/successes to my childless self. It's quite unrealistic. I find myself remembering the Amy that got up early and read her scriptures for an hour, then went on an hour run, then prepared a super healthy meal, yada yada yada. It's easy to forget that Amy also didn't have two little humans she was keeping alive and healthy (and that also wake her up at multiple times a night and give an unforgiving early wake up call) and a busy husband in PA school. I mean, life back then was pretty much all about myself back then--but in a good way, it was a season of my life focused on bettering myself through education, establishing lifelong habits, creating relationships, etc etc. This season of my life is pretty focused on giving my all to my family--my husband and those two darling girls.
Moral of the story: Calm down, cheer up, and get a heck of a lot more realistic.
So this year I let myself make 5 goals. So I can actually remember them. One goal for each of these topics: spiritual, physical, social, educational, and temporal.
Here's one I'm excited about this year (educational):
-Read 12 books. Two classics, a religious topic, an autobiography of someone I admire, a book in Spanish (cool right?? let's see how cool it is when I can barely get through a page..), 2 "self-help" books, etc. I hope it reality I'll read more than 12, but hey, I'm trying to be really honest with myself about the time I have to leisure read :).
So cheers to new goals, and really trying to make ourselves better people. BABY STEPS. But we'll get there, right?

Reading 8 books is one of my goals this year! I used to read all the time prior to having kids. I miss it so much and I'm determined to incorporate it back into my life.
ReplyDelete